A fresh clean home can make just about anyone smile, but using chemicals and harsh cleaners to get there is not only expensive, it can be dangerous.
Let’s take a look at some natural ways to keep your home clean and fresh while avoiding the caustic smells and harshness of chemicals.
First, there are a few items to keep on hand for safer cleaning:
- Lemons – antibacterial, effective against most household bacteria
- Baking Soda – cleans and deodorizes, general purpose cleaner
- Borax – cleans and deodorizes, great for wallpaper, painted walls, and floors
- White Vinegar – cuts grease, removes odors and mildew
- Hydrogen Peroxide – antibacterial agent
With these few ingredients, you can take care of even the toughest jobs in your home.
General Purpose Cleaning
A 1/2 cup of vinegar and 1/2 gallon of water works wonders on surfaces and floors. I keep a spray bottle handy to wipe off counters, tables, bathroom fixtures, and clean floors. Vinegar is great at cutting grease, and adding hydrogen peroxide to the mix creates a natural antibacterial agent.
Mix 1 part hydrogen peroxide with 3 parts water. Spray on bathroom tile and grout, and let sit for at least 1 hour before rinsing.
Pour 1 cup of baking soda into toilet, and let sit for an hour. Add 1 cup of vinegar, and let stand 5 minutes.
Wooden Cutting Boards
Cut a lemon in half, and rub across the board. In addition, keep wooden boards in top condition by applying a cutting board oil or wax periodically. This properly seals the surface to prevent bacteria from settling in.
- Carpets – sprinkle baking soda, let sit for several hours, and vacuum
- Garbage Disposals – cut up lemons and grind up in the unit
- Air fresheners – boil water on the stove and throw in your favorite smells such as vanilla, ginger, or cinnamon, orange, and nutmeg
Marks on Walls
Apply baking soda to a damp sponge and rub carefully. Wipe off with water.
Tough Grease and Stains
Create your own scouring powder by mixing 2 parts baking soda, 1 part salt, and 1 part Borax. This mixture cuts through the toughest spills and grease.
Cutting back on harsh chemical usage creates a safer home environment and is far more environmentally friendly. With a few basic items, you can naturally take care of most household grime, and enjoy a more chemical free home.